How long should a mattress last?
- Many factors play into this, such as how often a mattress is used (guest bed, or every night?) and the size and weight of the people sleeping on them. On average, a regular mattress will last 5 to 7 years, and a premium mattress will last up to 10 years.
- Inner coilspring mattresses last about 5-7 years
- Memory foam mattresses can last up to 10 or longer.
How should I care for my mattress?
- Vacuum your mattress often. It sounds weird but think about it—you spend every night on it as your body sheds itself of old hair and skin. Gross, right? So don’t sleep in it—vacuum it up!
- If vacuuming is too much, mattress defenders are a GREAT idea—mattresses can double in weight in less than 8 years. This is due to dust mites, dead skin cells, pollen and other things. Memory foam mattress can’t get bed bugs so keep that in mind before you buy!
- Some mattresses need to be flipped once every three months. If you have a mattress that is one-sided (like a pillowtop mattress) and can’t be flipped, rotate it every time you change your sheets so it wears evenly.
Don’t buy a new mattress until you’ve laid on it in your favorite sleeping position for at least 15 minutes. Otherwise you’ll never be able to tell if it’s really what works for you. Our sales associates at Mattress Factory Outlet are experts on bedding and can help you find what you’re looking for if you’re in the market for a new mattress.