Preparing for holiday visitors doesn’t require a complete overhaul of your home. No matter how small or large your guest room, a few personal touches can take a spare bedroom from makeshift-closet to marvelous. Here are a few ideas for creating the perfect guest bedroom without calling the red alert:
- Fresh flowers. The simplest way to brighten even the dullest spare bedroom is a vase of fresh flowers. If you don’t feel like springing for a seasonal bouquet, choose lightly-scented perennials like tulips or daisies.
- Water, treats. Studies show that a small tray of homemade treats laid out with a small carafe and some glasses are the universal sign for “Welcome Home.” (Note: Not a scientific study.) No time to bake? Substitute with fresh fruit or something special from a good local bakery.
- Basket of soft things.Rather than stack towels and toiletries on the bed, wrap them in ribbon and place them in a deep basket. Step it up with a robe, extra throw blanket and pillows and top it off with a small box of chocolates.
- Lights. Task lights, like an adjustable desk lamp or nightlight, give your night owl guests a private place to read or check e-mail without disturbing the rest of the house.
- Dress the windows. Add drapes to the windows so guests can choose to rise with the sun or draw the shades for some post-holiday sleeping-in.
- Dress the guests. Add a dressing vanity to the room with a small table and desk with a chair for a place to keep clothes. Trying to save space? Keep it simple with a bright chair and a few extra hangers.
- Personalize. These guests are staying with you for a reason—for you. Add a personal touch with family photos, favorite books and other memories from your best times together.