Definition: A furry growth of minute fungal hyphae occurring typically in moist warm conditions, especially on food or other organic matter.
Synonyms: Mildew, fungus, dry rot, must
Sound like something you want in your home, around your loved ones? Didn’t think so.
So what causes mold? Mold requires a special brew of moisture, warmth and food. Because of these necessities to survive, mold is commonly found in bathrooms, kitchens, basements or any area where flooding or leakage has occurred. Roofs, walls, pipes are also very common areas for this fungus to hide in.
What risks does mold bring? The most common reactions to mold are allergy-like symptoms such as:
- Watery eyes
- Runny nose
- Itchy eyes
- Redness of the eyes
How can you prevent mold in your home? According to Mother Nature Network you can prevent mold with these simple tasks:
- Identify problem areas in your home and correct them
- Dry wet areas immediately
- Prevent moisture with proper ventilation
- Equip your home with mold-resistant products
- Monitor humidity indoors
- Direct water away from your home
- Clean or repair roof gutters
- Improve air flow in your home
- Keep mold off household plants